Thursday, March 20, 2008

Project Appleseed - learn or enhance your Rifle Skills

Have any of you heard of Project Appleseed? I only recently found out about their effort to teach Americans how to be a true Rifleman, as well as to teach about the American Rifleman Heritage, while I was listening to Michael Bane's March 11th Downrange Radio podcast (episode 50). I was so impressed by what was said by his guest (Michael Adams) that I decided to experience it for myself. I've signed up my boys & myself for the next Project Appleseed event in my area, scheduled for April 19th & 20th in Tonopah, AZ, just a bit West of Phoenix. I'll report on my experience after I participate, but I encourage everyone to check for an event in your own area, sign up, & check it out for yourself. Let me know what you think. It sounds like a very good project worth supporting.

Here is an excerpt from their home page describing the program:

The Appleseed Program is designed to take you from being a simple rifle owner to being a true rifleman. All throughout American history, the rifleman has been defined as a marksman capable of hitting a man-sized target from 500 yards away — no ifs, ands or buts about it. This 500-yard range is traditionally known as "the rifleman's quarter-mile;" a rifleman can hit just about any target he can see. This skill was particulary evident in the birth of our country, and was the difference in winning the Revolutionary War.
Also be sure to take Fred's IQ test - I got a score of 100%. If you get a score of less than 30% you're what Fred calls a "Doofus Americanus." :)

No comments: