Monday, August 11, 2008

Couple Forced to Shoot Cougar

A New Castle Colorado couple was walking down a road when they were attacked by a Mountain Lion. Luckily one of them was armed:

. . . a couple was walking on a road about two miles north of New Castle, about 170 miles west of Denver, when a mountain lion emerged from bushes alongside the road. The two told state wildlife officers that they yelled, waved their arms and backed away slowly, trying to scare the mountain lion away without startling it.

But the couple said the mountain lion was down low and kept moving toward them. The man drew a pistol he was carrying and shot the cat. "Our investigation shows the mountain lion was about 6 feet away before the man fired a shot," Colorado Division of Wildlife spokesman Randy Hampton said . . .

"We felt this was a situation, where had they not been armed, we would've been dealing with a very different story today," Hampton said. The cat in Tuesday's incident was a young male and underweight at 60 pounds. Hampton said preliminary results from a necropsy -- the animal equivalent of an autopsy -- show the mountain lion had pneumonia, bronchitis and probably hadn't eaten in several days . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There are so many stories like this it isn't even funny. Taking away our right to self-defense is un-American and I hope no more abridgments are passed by any state.

We should not over-look non-lethal defense means too although some states ban those too. I have two Advanced M-18L Taser guns. I keep one in my truck and one in the bedroom within easy reach.

Dustin said...

Non lethal is a nice bonus to add to my left hand while my right hand is holding my real gun ready to shoot if non lethal fails for any reason. Stun guns are a bit too close and personal for my taste - the bad guy would be eating lead long before he or she was close enough for me to deploy a stun gun. On the other hand, many attacks do take place at close range so a stun gun does have its place. Perhaps a can of pepper spray in my left hand & my handgun in my right ready to go if whatever non-lethal force I try fails to stop the aggressor. A taser gun would be effective but right now I believe only the Police are allowed to have those.

What I'm really waiting for is those laser stun guns captain Kirk had. If I could disable a foe with a simple laser shot set to stun mode I could then have the Police haul the perp away so that he or she will wake up in a prison cell.